Monday, February 12, 2007

The Top 3 Quarterbacks in the NFC

Since we all know the top Quarterbacks in the AFC are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Carson Palmer, I thought that I'd make things interesting and alter my opinion up a little bit, and prove some valid points, and bring out some good facts. Yes, I will be talking good (and a little bad *wink wink*) about Matt Hasselbeck, for the first time in a while. Enjoy:

1.) Marc Bulger "duh duh duh duh duh duh duh, if only I could find Torry "Big Game" Holt on a post patttern" (Sorry, I had to pull a Chris Berman.) - Very underrated. While he may have great surrounding talent on offense, he is the NFC's most accurate passer in my opinion. Dude can throw it into the tightest windows despite having a bad offensive line that gave up somewhere in the top 5 most sacks this season, and he only threw 8 interceptions. I mean, Brees couldn't do that I don't believe, and I'm 100% sure that Hasselbeck couldn't even touch it, because Matt has had solid protection for most of his career (I'll get to why I added Matt so low and what his problems are. It just isn't his offensive line. That's for sure.) You can maybe say he has the second/third best running back in the league behind him, but still. We aren't talking about running, we're talking about passing (even though Stevie J. did receive for over 800 yards this season. 'Sounds like he did get his learning tips from the man behind the great Marshall Faulk.) However, with a banged up offensive line, it's hard to do things like this. Believe me, I watched every single Rams game this season (as the die-hard that I am) and easily know this stuff. Bulger has an aging, 34 year old Isaac Bruce, with a 30 year old (turning 31 on April 7th) torry Holt (yet, Bruce can still play, and Holt is the best receiver in the league in my eyes), so still tossing up big numbers like that, just after switching head coaches is just mind boggling. Bulger is bulging into a star. He's like the dark horse of the NFC; he never gets any credit.

2.) Drew "the birds and the" Brees (I made that one up.) - He is the best deep throwing in the conference in my eyes. He can bomb it like no other right now, and that really makes it hard on defenses if you add that, and solid (not great) offensive line protection around him, he can work his magic all over the field if he's given the time with receivers like Joe Horn (who actually, Brees only had two thirds of the year, so maybe he shouldn't be included), Marques Colston, Reggie Bush out in the flats, and with Reggie Bush and Deuce Mcallister lining up behind him in some of the split backs formations while splitting time, it's a deadly Saints' offense. What sets Brees apart from Bulger is that, Brees may have had a *career* season, but one season doesn't make you (however, he's had other seasons where he done *good* but not *GREAT* as in this one), and that's been proven several times in this league. Now if Bulger slumps net season, and Brees has another astonishing season (which I highly doubt), then I'll rank Drew higher than my main man Marc; however, right now, I don't see it at all, and you probably don't either because the only four games you have ever seen Bulger play were in 1.) The 2004 Pro Bowl when he won the MVP, 2.) The Panthers/Rams game in 2004 (Eh!), 3.) The Rams/Bears Monday Night Football game from this past year, and 4.) The 2007 Pro Bowl. Thank you, and come again.

3.) Matt "we're going to take the ball and we're going to score" Hasselbeck (Classic quote of the 2004 Wildcard chokers as he threw the game winnning interception to Green Bay's Al Harris) - I believe this guy has the biggest swagger as a competitor to win at the Quarterback spot in the NFC. He's one of the best leaders (when he's not being a ditz; outside of Brett Favre); but Hasselbeck has molded his character, not necessarily his game, but like I said, his character, after Brett Favre. I mean, versus Arizona, he had a bad knee, broken fingers, torn labrum, but he hustled 10 yards downfield and laid his body out on the line to recover a fumble. He's also very efficient, but over his career in Seattle, he has been plagued by drops, drops, drops, and more drops. With this year having a variety of injuries namely to the Seahawks' offensive line really decimated the effectiveness and chemistry of the offense of the 2006-2007 season.

No comments: