Friday, February 9, 2007

Nascar is Back and I will be Watching This Year....


Nascar, the most watched sport (when it comes to ratings, no lie, it has a higher rating than the NFL) will be returning for another season, as it annually does at Daytona, Florida, February 18, 2007 (six years after that dreadful February 18, 2001 when we lost "the man.") The past two seasons (2005 and 2006) haven't been the most fun thing to watch. I pretty much gave up on it at the beginning of the 2005 season, losing interest because of the lackluster drivers in. Lackluster drivers, you ask? Guys like Carl Edwards, Scott Riggs, Jamie McMurray, Casey Mears, David Stremme, etc. Guys like that ruining Nascar itself. How, you ask? Taking away the popularity of it, and pretty much bringing a whacky image to racing.


What about old drivers? That's what I, and most people would rather see racing out there. It's not moreso because of not wanting the sport to change, but it's more because they had the experience, the veteranship, and the mentality to drive more forcefully out there on the race track and not be afraid to bump another car out of the way (the great Dale Earnhardt Sr. did this.) It just was mind boggling seeing the young guys out there winning races, and getting bumped a little bit by other drivers, and then complaining about it at the end of the race. It just shows how pansy-fied Nascar has came about settling in on safe driving.

While I do agree that driving safe in racing is good and healthy for those drivers who don't want to risk their life, but it's racing! Donate some money, do whatever you can to get new equipment in the car. What is good about racing if you can't take a few bumps here and there on the racetrack while driving? It's ridiculous that some of these drivers complain excessively, and end up not making any sense of it. They need to bulken up and realise that it isn't Ridge Racers, and they need to get level-minded, same with the whole Nascar organization.

Nascar, as most of you know that know me, runs as a tradition in my family. Well, my late father's side of the family. My Father, one of my Uncles, and I use to sit around and watch the race every Sunday. It was great watching the black, number "3" car demand he'd not lose, and force himself to victory. It was great then. I learned a good lesson my father taught me: "Chevy ... Chevrolet." Hmm? That's a thing that I picked up on, too. Never cheer for any Ford or Dodge. Just cheer for a select 3 of Chevy drivers. When Dale Earnhardt Sr. died on that fateful day in February 18, 2001. It was the 3 drivers -- Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, and the man who now drives the Goodwrench Chevrolet, Kevin Harvick. Why did we cheer for Tony Stewart, you ask? Because of his fearless attitude; that's what made him one hell of a driver.

"Ford: The Ultimate Enemy of Chevy" is what I picked up on, you know? "Never betray one of your favorite drivers unless they betray you," my Dad always told me "If Earnhardt (Sr.) ever switched from Chevy to Ford, I would have cheered for him, because my loyalty is proven through his seven championships. He's a proven winner. Now if Jr. ever switches from Chevy to Ford, then that's just the betrayal of him; he'd be switching from the best driving brand out to the losers' brand. He hasn't even proved that he can win, so if he switches to Ford, then he can prove his ignorance and losing ways.

"
Now, that looks like it's about to happen, unfortunately. Probably next season since Dale Jr. probably will be unable to retrieve complete ownership of DEI, and he will leave selfishly if he fails inadequately. So if it ultimately does happen, in the most inevitable way possible, I say Fuck Ford, and fuck anyone who drives for Ford, as I've had that mindset my whole life, and I'm going to loyally stick by that. Ten more days until the Daytona 500, folks. It's been 3 years since I've written about racing, and this is my first article since! Get use to it.

Looking for my Top 5 drivers this year? I'll include them in my Daytona Special article in a couple of days. Warning: May contain biased picks, though.

No comments: