Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Three Reasons Why I Absolutely Cannot Wait For Baseball To Start Back

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've wrote an MLB column. Like I've stated previously, I'm not much of an off-season chit-chatter when it comes to baseball at all. There are only a few trades that I'm actually intrigued to talk about, so I'm not too fond with off-seasons in any sport of that matter since it means a while until the regular season starts back (the winter is long if you exclude the NFL Playoffs, and the NBA progressing), and the MLB Draft isn't something you're going to jump up and down for every other day when you want more coverage for it. So for those who have been wanting a baseball column from me, here you go ... the top 3 reasons why I absolutely cannot wait for baseball to start back:

1.) The St. Louis Cardinals are mine, and your 2006 World Series champions, hence now the defending champions; that's what is going to make this season so special, knowing that everyone is going to be gunning for us, wishing for their respective team to be "the one," the World Series champions. However, the most special night will be on April 1st, when the Cards welcome the team that they beat to enjoy a trip to the World Series in the NLCS, the New York Mets. That's going to be a near must-watch on ESPN2. However, ESPN2? What is going to be on ESPN at the time? I have no idea, and that makes me disgusted on how America's Pastime is disrespected by having to play on the alternative ESPN station. You have to be kidding me.

2.) One name, two words: Albert Pujols. The guy is a serious animal and led the National League in slugging percentage and on-base percentage last season. The ESPN "experts" claim that he doesn't have speed, but I claim he makes up for it with his defense, his hitting, and not to mention his leadership. He is my favorite player, 'should be your favorite player, and in my offering biased opnion, he is the best player in the Majors (with all-due respect given to Derek Jeter.) He just won the World Series, his stock is high, he is "THE" man of baseball, and is only getting better at the age of 27 (just turned last month.)

3.) The Chicago Cubs, baby! They're the lovable losers of baseball, and as much as I love to rag on them countless times one after the other like it's the 55 bottles of beer on the wall (Kinda like one of my older versions of 98 years on hold on a call); well this year, I'm going to keep it down a bit; however, they retained injury prone Kerry Word and Mark Prior; they're both washed up in my opinion beause of that. They cashed in getting Alfonso Soriano, and beat my Cards last season more than the Cards beat them. However, where were the Cubs at during the post-season as the Cardinals took home the World Series tropy in Game 5 against Detroit? Oh, LAST in the National League Central while the Cardinals stood tall (err..on one foot) in first place. The Cubs will have another season where they will fail to reach even the Wildcard, and end up disgustingly missing the playoffs, as they grunt their teeth once again during the post-season. I love those guys.

No comments: