Thursday, March 15, 2007

MLB: Overrated..Underrated..what else?

There was a debate on RealGM between the most underrated and overrated players. My list went by David Eckstein being underrated, and Alex Rodriguez being overrated. I was quoted with these two replies:

"Just look at Alex Rodriguez stats he's definitly not overrated. Last years stats were supparb, but people thought he had an off year because of the expectations people had for him. I hear a lot of praises for David Ecksteing I have no clue why, that's why i consider him to be an ovverated player aswell."

"Whoever says Alex Rodriguez is overrated is probably just chafing at the amount of press he gets because of his oft-documented "slumps". I think he's a fine player, I'd love for him to replace Edgar Renteria right now."

Yet you guys don't even mention the fact that Eckstein came up for his respective team in the World Series, and fail to acknowledge much of that. I'm sure you guys are New York Yankees haters just like I am, but just because I mention a disliking towards a Yankees players that states constructive criticism and facts doesn't mean I'm biased when it comes to that matter, and doesn't mean you should reply that way. Why? Because you're going to get shown up in a few minutes just on that. Here is my explanation to you two on why Alex Rodriguez is one of the most overrated players in the MLB:

He didn't live up to expectations as he should have. He made so many errors, I don't even feel like looking up stats for. He had an off-year compared to others, and his defense was just so terrible that it was hard to look over. I don't think he belongs on the Yankees (should be elsewhere.) He was just so unable to culminate meeting those statistics that he should have reached. I think if he was playing for more of a small-city team, his stats would blister back up. It seems to me that he can't take much criticism, and New York has been the toughest place to play for him. He needs to consider some of those factors, and it looks like he will be traded succeeding the 2007 New York Yankees season if they can't reason a way to muster up a decent chemistry this season, he's long gone from New York unless he goes the few miles to play in Shea Stadium in a Mets uniform. He's a great player, and I just now acknowledged that, but I'm going to keep him in my overrated column of side until he can prove his worth as a Yankee this upcoming season by not looking mediocre out on the field defensively. He had a dropoff of 13 less homeruns than he did in his MVP campaign in 2005, from 48 to 35. Also, he had his lowest at bat amounts since his final season with the Seattle Mariners in 2000. Another stat for you: he had 24 errors -- that's the most he's had since his young days of 1997 matching the high title of 24, as last year he didn't have any (any as ESPN.com says on his player page.) Like I said (just going to be repetitive for you, for a second or some), he's a great player, but he's just overrated in my mind. It's too mind boggling on how he didn't even come close to meeting the expectations he was put out for in 2006. He should have done a lot better. The media put the pressure on him, and he shown that he couldn't handle it.

As for David Eckstein, what do you mean you do not understand the praise he's getting? He came up huge in the World Series by being a coherent attribute on why we won the World Series. There's some sort of kidney disease that runs in his family by heredity, and I don't believe he has it, but still yet, it's great to see him out there playing in the Majors, living his dream, even though there's a big chance he'll have that disease one of these days. It's just a great accomplishment for him to be out there, to win the Series again (after he did in 2002 with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.) I think that it's not only great for him, but his family also. He's one hell of a player to be at such a short height, yet playing with a large heart, quick speed, and great defense. He's truly underrated in my eyes from those aspects, and he's only been getting praise for the aspect that the Cardinals won the World Series. Other than that, he hasn't gotten much respect from any media outside of St. Louis or Los Angeles (that's a sure fact.)

No comments: